The history of the Big Canoe Lutheran Church dates back to 1851 when the first non-Indians began settlement in the Decorah area. The land was almost entirely forest. The first Norwegian settlers were from Voss, Hallingdal and Numedal, in west central Norway.
The object and purpose of this congregation shall be to proclaim and propagate the Christian faith through the Means of Grace, and to cooperate in the work and service of the Evangelical Lutheran Chruch in America.
To participate in God's mission, this congregation as a part of the Church shall:
To fulfill these purposes, this congregation shall:
The earliest records available regarding the formation of the Highland congregation appear in minutes of the Big Canoe Parish of June 23, 1894. At that meeting consideration was given to a request from representatives of District 7, the Kjome District, and from the West Waterloo Ridge congregation. This delegation sought permission to form a new congregation which would build a new church, but remain a part of the Big Canoe Parish.
Copyright Big Canoe & Highland Lutheran Parish ©2014 All Rights Reserved